UConn Today: Professor Kathyrn Myers – A Journey Through Indian Art at the Benton

For Kathryn Myers, curating the exhibition “Convergence: Contemporary Art from India and the Diaspora” that opens on Oct. 22 at the William Benton Museum of Art was considerably less difficult than the first time she organized an exhibition of art from India nearly a decade ago.

The 2004 exhibition “Masala; Diversity and Democracy in South Asian Art” opened a couple of years after her semester-long Fulbright Fellowship to India in 2002, her third trip to India but the first that allowed her to spend an entire semester immersed in the art and culture of the world’s second largest nation. It also was the first time the professor of art and art history in the School of Fine Arts had the opportunity to curate an exhibition.

“We didn’t have enough grant money to hire curators for each section of the exhibition, so I had to do it myself,” she says. “I had a Provost’s Research Grant, so I could take the semester off to work on it continuously. It was like a crash course in India artI was also able to make a short trip back to India to pick up more works of art. That was the beginning.”

To read the rest of the article, visit UConn Today.

To find out more about the exhibit, visit the Benton Museum of Art.