BFA students should consider the following when selecting courses:
- Students should take all Basic Studio courses before the end of the 4th term.
- Some sequential prerequisite concentration courses are not offered every semester. Students should plan accordingly.
- Students must take a W course in Art History. Planning ahead is especially important for Photography concentration students as they are required to take two (2) History of Photography courses to satisfy the 12 required Art History credits.
- The Communication Design Portfolio Review takes place in the SPRING only. There are minimum requirements and specific courses students must complete before participating in the review. Applicants to the Communication Design program must have taken or be enrolled in ART 2110: Design Process, and ART 2011: Intro to Digital Media at or by the time of the portfolio review.
- ART 2210: Illustration is only offered in the SPRING and requires that students have taken ART 2010: Life Drawing I and ART 2310: Basic Studio Painting.
- ART 3210: Topics in Illustration is only offered in the FALL and requires that students have taken ART 2210: Illustration and ART 3010: Life Drawing II.
- Students intending to complete the Art History Minor should declare the minor early on. Students should plan to meet with the Art History Coordinator for a brief orientation and to complete an Art History Minor Declaration form.
- Independent Study eligibility is limited to a maximum of six (6) credits and may be repeated for a total of six (6) credits. Independent Studies are open to juniors or higher, limited to the advanced 5th semester or higher standing and a GPA of 3.0, with no outstanding incompletes for any other 3999. Exceptions only by approval of the department head.