School of Fine ArtsArt & Art History Department

Elizabeth Ellenwood

0

Elizabeth Ellenwood is a fine art photographer who has been based in Boston, MA for the past
seven years. She received a BFA in photography from the New Hampshire Institute of Art in
2010. Working with film, primarily medium and large format cameras, she creates traditional
silver gelatin prints in the darkroom. Elizabeth has been included in solo and group exhibitions,
and was also a finalist in the 7th Edition of the Julia Margaret Cameron Awards in 2015. She
was recently featured in Art New England Magazine (March/April 2017 Issue) for her solo
exhibition “These Times & Shapes” at the Sharon Arts Center in Peterborough, NH. Elizabeth’s
photographs are included in private and public collections throughout New England.

Artist Statement:
In today’s fast-paced digital world, the pressure to be constantly connected is overwhelming and
ever-present. As an artist, my work functions as an escape. In my practice I slow down daily life
by photographically examining my surroundings. The camera becomes an extension of my field
of vision, allowing me to appreciate and analyze what is directly in front of me. Through
traditional film photography, I begin to rediscover basic elements of art: line, shape, form, and
texture. I search for perspectives and compositions that allow these components to interact
dynamically throughout my work. My studies of overlooked details in exterior and interior
spaces teeter between abstract and recognizable, inviting different interpretations for each
viewing.

elizabethellenwood.com

elizabeth.ellenwood@uconn.edu

Share.

About Author